The Advanced Training Institute builds on foundational concepts introduced in the Basic Training Institute, adding skills that will enable the educator to provide Educational Therapy beyond the introductory grades. It applies the same Orton-Gillingham Approach targeting the specific needs of older students and adults.
Trainees interested in Advanced Training Institute must have successfully completed Basic Training Institute.
Trainees in Advanced Training Institute are provided with:
- A further study of the philosophy & teaching techniques involved in the Orton-Gillingham Approach applied to teaching skills needed for reading and writing more complex language structure
- An awareness of dyslexia as it occurs in high school students and adults
- A continuing focus on all the instructional components essential for working with the older student
- An opportunity to learn the linguistic structure needed to deal with advanced vocabulary
- Hands on in-class practice plus plan and teach actual lessons
Trainees successfully completing the Advanced Training Institute with practicum are equipped to begin providing Educational Therapy to struggling students in grades 4 – adult.
College credits through St. Mary's University are available.
The Reading Center is the only center west of the Mississippi that is acccredited by the Academy of Orton-Gillingham Practitioners and Educators to provide this time-tested and highly effective training.